Rocks Used for Hunting?

This is for anything not covered by other forums here, it's the general discussion forum.
Forum rules
This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
Rebelistic
MABRC Forum Moderator
MABRC Forum Moderator

Rocks Used for Hunting?

Post by Rebelistic » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:29 am

In my research areas I have on numerous occasions found fist sized and smaller rocks on top of recent leaf litter. I have suspected for some time that they are used for hunting. We do know that they are real good at using rocks to get our attention either to see our reactions or to divert our attention.

When reviewing some recent audio I came across what sounded to be rocks thrown throw the trees and bouncing off the ground. It is SO similar to what was recorded during that rock throwing incident that it caught my attention. This was recorded with an unattended remote drop box. You may need to use headphones.
This was one of several that you could hear the bouncing of what I suspect is a rock, but the only one that has the small critter of some sort screeching afterwards. Now I am not saying that every troop does this, but it sure does sound like night time hunting. This was recorded about 1 am. I have not read any reports of this type of thing but it seems to make sense.
American by Birth Rebel by Right!

Evidence Review Board Member

admin
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director

Re: Rocks Used for Hunting?

Post by admin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:38 am

Author: Biggjimm [ Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:12 pm ]
Post subject: Re: Rocks Used for Hunting?
There is good evidence that fossil hominids did just that
http://www.insidescience.org/content/ho ... tcher/1068
This article is actually talking is early H. erectus/ H. georgicus
http://www.cogsci.ucsd.edu/~johnson/COG ... in1982.pdf

We know georgicus collected rounded rocks and stored them at their nesting sites. They
came from a river and were collected for a purpose.

Also natives used that technique to dispatch birds.

Author: Rebelistic [ Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:15 pm ]
So then going by that is said in the second article, one could question if there is indeed tool making that could be happening in some troops. I read some blogs Larry Surf's to name one where it was postulated that some of the rocks looked crudely worked. In some of the rocks that I have found does show where some of it may be flaked off but until I read that article I just thought it was an impact fracture as a byproduct of being thrown. I guess I will need to look at the rocks more careful in the future. Maybe even start a rock collection!

Author: Biggjimm [ Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:34 pm ]
the thing is that there is a record of olduvai style rock working going back almost 2 million years in North America,
more specifically at the calico early man site. Scientists only labeled them as natural artifacts because they predate
our species. I know of three instances in Oklahoma where crudely worked rocks have been found. I found one in an
old buffalo waller that had been clearly worked, Holotype mentioned finding some that looked pretty primitive. In both
cases we at the time had written them off as Indian artifacts. Bullet found a similar stone at his place. Crudely worked
rocks turn up all the time, and are either A) written of as Indian artifacts, B) attributed to people trying to learn to flint
nap, or B) attributed to "Cults" of modern Indians. The thing is there are reported sightings of bigfoot breaking rocks,
but nobody pays much attention to them. And with the popularity of the Giganto theory, everybody who researches
bigfoot tends to assume that they don't use or make stone tools, so they never look into the modern and ancient simple
stone tools that are found frequently in North America, and because said tools are always written off as being of human
origin, no researchers, even the few scientists involved never hear of them.
53120963_P1010184.jpg
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.47 KiB) Viewed 6693 times
In my mind the possibility is certainly there and even probably that the stone tools are sasquatch in origin.
Author: powderman [ Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:19 pm ]
I've seen monkeys of various types on PBS using rocks to open up different foods to get at the good stuff inside. Anything is possible.

Author: TC85 [ Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:37 am ]
Sorry to take this a little off subject but I've seen one theory in which it is believed that at one point within a few 1000 years they may have had much better tool making skills plus been able to make fire however with the combined physical growth, increase of hair and the need to stay even more "strategy" they possibly abandoned the practice. I read it a while back or heard it....I've spent countless hours pondering, researching and roaming in the last 3 years who knows? now anything like this, I at least jot it down in a journal that I started.

Author: Rebelistic [ Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:00 am ]
Well I will start to do some serious looking at rocks I find on leaf litter. And collecting any that I think are worked. I have some experience with Indian artifacts so I am some what familiar with what worked rocks look like. I have always been told that if it doesn't fit your hand it isn't an artifact. But if it has a much larger hand? Lots to think about.

Author: Rebelistic [ Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:08 am ]
TC85 wrote:
Sorry to take this a little off subject but I've seen one theory in which it is believed that at one point within a few 1000 years they may have had much better tool making skills plus been able to make fire however with the combined physical growth, increase of hair and the need to stay even more "strategy" they possibly abandanoned the practice. I read it a while back or heard it....I've spent countless hours pondering, researching and roaming in the last 3 years who knows? now anything like this, I at least jot it down in a journal that I started.

From my understanding, that once something is found that makes a species life easier it is not abandoned. For me it would not make sense to quit using something that would make one's life easier. Very few critter de-evolve from my understanding.

Author: Biggjimm [ Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:13 am ]
TC85, culture like that wouldn't be lost. Even with their size, in ice age N. America, they were likely bottom rung on the food chain. ( the predators are likely why
they got big in the first place. A 15 ft Actodus wants a 9 ft squatch for dinner= one dead squatch.) More likely they are a branch of the hominid line prior to the
learning of fire. Some of the stone tools that have turned up are recent in origin, as in made within a few years

Author: Rebelistic [ Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:48 am ]
So one more question. Do you think they make them as needed or transport them with them? I would suspect that in places like here in the Ozarks they would just make more as they needed them. Rocks are so common that most people think they are a huge annoyance and don't give them a second look.

However if they as speculated return to the same places as they more through their territory, they could just leave them and use them the next time they are in the area. All the things to think about!

Author: Nightwind [ Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:42 am ]
I feel this art has not been abandoned, Reb you yourself examined the soda can top that was sharpened, also the brown bottle bottom that was knapped to eat the clams. Nightwind

Author: Biggjimm [ Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:04 pm ]
I figure they make as needed, though the there was a sighting of the Osage Wildman of the 1890's had it with a piece of burlap tied around its waist, and it had broken scythe blade tucked in it. The rest of the description goes on to say the creature was covered in short red hair and ran on all fours

Author: Rebelistic [ Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:58 am ]
Nightwind wrote:
I feel this art has not been abandoned, Reb you yourself examined the soda can top that was sharpened, also the brown bottle bottom that was knapped to eat the clams. Nightwind

I do remember those Nightwind. But my opinion then was that they were reusing something from man, and these rocks are something they would make themselves. Tool use. Not tool making. The knapping on the bottle was most likely from using it to pry open the shells, or that is what I thought at the time. I always try to keep an open mind to what these critters can do.

Author: Rebelistic [ Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:24 am ]
After having this discussion, I started taking a closer look at rocks that seemed to be on top of leaf litter. Although I don't find them often I am finding it interesting. Here was a clip of the first one I recorded. I found this one in January.

In this one the audio sucks as there was quite a little wind that day. This was found earlier this month.

Even though neither of these had any blood or fur on them, I still suspect they were used for hunting. These were in different places of my research area. With the evidence of them throwing rocks at people whether it be a warning or distraction, it is a common behavior exhibited. I find it hard to believe that it would be the only time they use this behavior. One important detail I would like to point out is that these rocks are considerably larger than the ones purported to be thrown at people. The one I have from the rock throwing incident is a lot smaller in comparison.

I think that this may be something overlooked by a lot of researchers and may help to answer how some troops may be hunting. There is also some evidence in the research area of what is termed ambush hunting. I think that they may either use different hunting methods depending on what is being hunted, or have a complex hunting style that we have yet to realize.

Author: Nightwind [ Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:49 pm ]
Reb: I have a large collection of rocks, some are typical knapped scrapers, drills and blades, All so what appears to be a Tomahawk head. I might need to check them a little closer. I also have some obsidian bird points. This could get interesting. Nightwind

Author: Eric M [ Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:45 pm ]
MK Davis now thinks Patty has some kind of pouch at her left side that may be secured over her right
shoulder with a small rope or strap of some type.

Author: Rebelistic [ Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:11 am ]
Eric M wrote:
MK Davis now thinks Patty has some kind of pouch at her left side that may be secured over her right
shoulder with a small rope or strap of some type.

I personally think that Davis does some serious reaching on some things. Some of his stuff is ok, but others seem to muck the waters more than anything...

Author: Rebelistic [ Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:26 am ]
Nightwind wrote:
Reb: I have a large collection of rocks, some are typical knapped scrapers, drills and blades, All so what appears to be a Tomahawk head. I might need to check them a little closer. I also have some obsidian bird points. This could get interesting. Nightwind

I have been doing a lot closer looking at rocks and other things that seem out of place. There is a couple of independent researchers that are part of the MAP Team that also has found some strange rocks in their area that could possibly have been worked recently for chopping at dead trees(?) to get at larva. With these critters being so complex, I guess we as researchers need to really keep our eyes open when we are in areas of activity.

Author: frogman [ Thu May 21, 2015 5:10 pm ]
came across this today on a news feed and thought of this topic

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102695270?__sour ... =102695270

Return to “General Discussion”

• You do not have permission to post in chat.
@ admin « Tue 1:35 am »
Hey Yankeesearch, didn’t even know you were in chat, now you have the bug so bad you will have to keep going out to see another one. :)
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:56 am »
Anyway, as I stand before God, I did not make this up!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:55 am »
Not saying it was Sq/BF/DM/Yeti... but it was strange. And I am locking my doors tonight for sure! :lol:
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:54 am »
And just I was turning away, I thought I heard snort -- which could have been deer or maybe cattle... but... I do not know.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
I did not have the creepy feeling I normally get in these situations... so I really do not know what to make of it.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
One detail I forgot to mention: the whoop had almost a human like talk after it on both occasions.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:52 am »
I walked back to the other side, and thought I heard a knock...
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:51 am »
Cattle about 1/8th mile away disappeared... and strangely at that location: it sounded like something banged the metal fence. Not loud... but never ever heard it before tonight.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
Two whoops... and some deer scattering (they may have been scattering because of me).
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
From 6:20 PM to maybe 6:45 PM CST
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:49 am »
I may have just had an encounter!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:46 am »
Hi gang! I know it has been a long time...
@ BrianDriver « Sat 12:59 pm »
Good quality pics. How long were the cams out?
@ admin « Thu 9:09 pm »
Just to get the chat going, it’s going to take some time to move over all the data, but in the end, hope everyone likes the layout here.

Who is chatting