Ghost Post

This is for anything not covered by other forums here, it's the general discussion forum.
Forum rules
This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
admin
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director

Ghost Post

Post by admin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:21 am

Author: Rebelistic [ Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:31 pm ]
Post subject: Ghost Post
A couple years back Arkansas Tracker came up with an idea I'd like to discuss. During most expeditions we have a standard base camp. Around those areas we find places where it would seem to be areas that they would approach camp and set up one or two people dark and quiet, next to a tree or other natural features to conceal our silhouette. This way we could be able to notify the main camp by radio that there is suspected activity coming from that direction to be able to better focus the thermals and other equipment that direction.

Gutsy... Maybe. But it could give some decent sightings as well as a lot of information on their behavior. Basically we use their style of concealment against them. I do think this could work.

What do Y'all think?

Author: sawdustt [ Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:51 pm ]
Post subject: Re: Ghost Post
I like it!!!

Author: compressermike [ Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:18 pm ]
Would they not just stay back that much more. If we new they would approach us from upwind or down wind it might work, otherwise I think they will at least smell you. Maybe if we had a big barbecue going so they could smell it a mile away in would mask your smell. We have had know problem with them getting real close to us around the fire and leaving hand prints on trucks and cars. Maybe if we had something as a camera or flir pointing back at camp so maybe they would walk by it and get between it and camp. Just my thoughts. We have looked at getting in a tree stand !

Author: sawdustt [ Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:32 pm ]
I had thought about a tree stand too. To find a nice tall straight pine that you could get about 30 feet off the ground.

Author: Grayson [ Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:27 am ]
compressermike wrote:
Would they not just stay back that much more. If we new they would approach us from upwind or down wind it might work, otherwise I think they will at least smell you. Maybe if we had a big barbecue going so they could smell it a mile away in would mask your smell. We have had know problem with them getting real close to us around the fire and leaving hand prints on trucks and cars. Maybe if we had something as a camera or flir pointing back at camp so maybe they would walk by it and get between it and camp. Just my thoughts. We have looked at getting in a tree stand !

I have read accounts of people doing that

I have wondered about a web based camera that faces directly down into a bed of maybe blackberries or some other food source that Sasquatch are known to eat that is in an area that deer could not get too. Maybe a fence with a simple gate. I'd use a low light camera with a light source about 150 feet away rather than infrared.

But then I am an armchair guy.

Author: frogman [ Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:35 am ]
here goes my two cents. the best way to do this in my humble opinion is the same way i prepare for a deer hunt. first I hang a tree stand two or three days befor i go. then I take every article of clothing I will be wearing and wash them in a sent eliminator laundry soap and dry them using a eliminator dyer sheet. after drying they are placed in a space bag with fresh cut pine branches or apples. i shower with eliminator shower gel and use eliminator deodorant. no smoking or cooking after showering. once out in the field i spray down my outer wear with an eliminator spray as well as any gear I take in with me. I can see how this might work. but if it is tried then one must pay attention to the details. another thought. hunters are in tree stands because apparently deer do not perceive threats from above or so i've heard. so it begs the question. what a bout sasquatch

Author: Rebelistic [ Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:23 pm ]
compressermike wrote:

Yes I agree that we need to have good scent coverage by cooking or ?. Now just speculation here, but I would suspect they would come in down wind of camp. That being said the scent of people would be there because of the camp, so would someone a few yards out make a difference? I don't know. But I think it would be worth a try.

Author: Rebelistic [ Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:25 pm ]
Grayson wrote:
compressermike wrote:

I have read accounts of people doing that

I have wondered about a web based camera that faces directly down into a bed of maybe blackberries or some other food source that Sasquatch are known to eat that is in an area that deer could not get too. Maybe a fence with a simple gate. I'd use a low light camera with a light source about 150 feet away rather than infrared.

But then I am an armchair guy.
Good points. Maybe even using berry scents when it is off season would get them curious .

Author: Rebelistic [ Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:28 pm ]
frogman wrote:
here goes my two cents. the best way to do this in my humble opinion is the same way i prepare for a deer hunt. first I hang a tree stand two or three days befor i go. then I take every article of clothing I will be wearing and wash them in a sent eliminator laundry soap and dry them using a eliminator dyer sheet. after drying they are placed in a space bag with fresh cut pine branches or apples. i shower with eliminator shower gel and use eliminator deodorant. no smoking or cooking after showering. once out in the field i spray down my outer wear with an eliminator spray as well as any gear I take in with me. I can see how this might work. but if it is tried then one must pay attention to the details. another thought. hunters are in tree stands because apparently deer do not perceive threats from above or so i've heard. so it begs the question. what a bout sasquatch

That too is a great idea! Masking human scents may have better results. However unless they would walk within a short distance from you, wouldn't they just think it is scents from camp? I don't know. But we could try both ways and see what happens.

Author: Rebelistic [ Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:33 pm ]
sawdustt wrote:
I had thought about a tree stand too. To find a nice tall straight pine that you could get about 30 feet off the ground.

A couple years back Arkansas Tracker and DO tried that during one of the symposium weekends. My only reservation to that would be unless the tree stand was in the area for quite some time I'd think the ladder would be out of place for them and easy to detect. But again, it may work. I was just thinking that hiding in natural features that they are used to seeing may have the easiest and best results. All good ideas. And I think we need to do some field testing with these.

Author: therealsuperdave [ Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:10 pm ]
At expeditions there are always a bunch of vehicles parked around base camp. Why not put these to good use. We suspect they always try to keep an obstacle between them and people, such as trees, bushes, buildings and vehicles. Park the vehicles downwind and one or two people hide inside a vehicle while everyone else goes about business as usual. This is how I have had one Class A sighting and several close encounters. This also worked for DO at CNRA. I always consider my vehicle to be a possible hunting blind. I wear all black clothing, use a black hooded sweatshirt or stocking cap, and a dark brown blanket whenever I sleep in the driver's seat. Only problem is staying awake long enough to see a visitor.

Author: frogman [ Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:37 pm ]
therealsuperdave wrote:
At expeditions there are always a bunch of vehicles parked around base camp. Why not put these to good use. We suspect they always try to keep an obstacle between them and people, such as trees, bushes, buildings and vehicles. Park the vehicles downwind and one or two people hide inside a vehicle while everyone else goes about business as usual. This is how I have had one Class A sighting and several close encounters. This also worked for DO at CNRA. I always consider my vehicle to be a possible hunting blind. I wear all black clothing, use a black hooded sweatshirt or stocking cap, and a dark brown blanket whenever I sleep in the driver's seat. Only problem is staying awake long enough to see a visitor.
i can see where this approach would eliminate the need for a cover sent or sent eliminator. this also might give someone a shot at a good photo using a film point and shoot camera. there would need to be a way to limit the view from the outside but maximize the view from within. on the staying awake might think about using two two man teams in two vehicles in fore hour shifts.

Author: therealsuperdave [ Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:39 pm ]
Go to the local Halloween shop before they close for the season and get a black costume to disguise yourself for a future ghost post.
image.jpg
image (1).jpg
Author: YankeeSearch [ Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:15 pm ]
compressermike wrote:
Maybe if we had a big barbecue going so they could smell it a mile away in would mask your smell.

Neat idea: something that really has an odor...

Author: Rebelistic [ Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:12 am ]
therealsuperdave wrote:

Another good idea!
Author: Eric M [ Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:26 pm ]
If they go up in trees, and the little ones go up in trees, they should be used to looking up to see if anything is there.

Author: Rebelistic [ Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:51 am ]
Eric M wrote:
If they go up in trees, and the little ones go up in trees, they should be used to looking up to see if anything is there.
Excellent point....

Author: therealsuperdave [ Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:11 am ]
You can't fool them, or out smart them. you need to use what's already there or what they expect to be there. A new blind or tree stand is a bright red flag to them. If they are focused on the camp and campers, however, they MAY use a vehicle, tent, or other convenient item to hide behind. This is called the Moat Theory, which suggests they always keep something between them and you (like a castle moat separates a castle from attackers-hence the name "Moat Theory".) Therefore the best base camp locations will always have something natural for them to hide behind, as close to camp as possible. They like large trees, uprooted trees that fell with large root balls, large boulders, or shrubs/brush that are dense enough to break up their shape. These natural blinds are the best things to use for researchers to use for concealment, provided you can get concealed BEFORE they see you.

Author: Rebelistic [ Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:48 am ]
That was what I was talking about. Tracker came up with a good point when he said to hide in places that they would. I agree that they know the area like the back of their hand so anything new will be a red flag. I do think there is some merit to this approach, however there are some risks involved.
1. They may use the same tree, brush or whatever on their approach.
2. If reveled, the ghost poster may make them feel trapped if in fact the sasquatch is between them and camp.
3. This does leave the ghost poster in a vulnerable position, so radio contact is a must!
4. Other critters may approach the ghost poster, such as cats, hogs, snakes etc.

But I do think for a seasoned researcher this could have some interesting results and could add more understanding to their behavior. But I don't think this should be done by a newbie or those who have not thought it through.

Return to “General Discussion”

• You do not have permission to post in chat.
@ admin « Tue 1:35 am »
Hey Yankeesearch, didn’t even know you were in chat, now you have the bug so bad you will have to keep going out to see another one. :)
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:56 am »
Anyway, as I stand before God, I did not make this up!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:55 am »
Not saying it was Sq/BF/DM/Yeti... but it was strange. And I am locking my doors tonight for sure! :lol:
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:54 am »
And just I was turning away, I thought I heard snort -- which could have been deer or maybe cattle... but... I do not know.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
I did not have the creepy feeling I normally get in these situations... so I really do not know what to make of it.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
One detail I forgot to mention: the whoop had almost a human like talk after it on both occasions.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:52 am »
I walked back to the other side, and thought I heard a knock...
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:51 am »
Cattle about 1/8th mile away disappeared... and strangely at that location: it sounded like something banged the metal fence. Not loud... but never ever heard it before tonight.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
Two whoops... and some deer scattering (they may have been scattering because of me).
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
From 6:20 PM to maybe 6:45 PM CST
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:49 am »
I may have just had an encounter!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:46 am »
Hi gang! I know it has been a long time...
@ BrianDriver « Sat 12:59 pm »
Good quality pics. How long were the cams out?
@ admin « Thu 9:09 pm »
Just to get the chat going, it’s going to take some time to move over all the data, but in the end, hope everyone likes the layout here.

Who is chatting