Change blindness

This is for anything not covered by other forums here, it's the general discussion forum.
Forum rules
This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
BiggJimm
MABRC Forum Administrator
MABRC Forum Administrator

Change blindness

Post by BiggJimm » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:18 pm

We've all heard outdoorsmen say " if there was something out there, I would have seen it." Well the CIA did a number of experiments with something called "change blindness". Basically the average person sees only what they expect to see in a situation, and this effect is multiplied exponentially when the mind is preoccupied with a task, like lets say fishing or hunting deer hypothetically. You are focused on that that you pay almost zero attention to your environment as long as it isn't related to the task at hand. This is a recreation of the CIA experiments, and it works almost 90% of the time, regardless of the subjects background, as long as there is a task....

The backwoods Mad Scientist

admin
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director

Re: Change blindness

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:25 pm

Author: hunter [ Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:33 pm ]
Post subject: Re: Change blindness
Interesting that you posted this
as I have been reading/researching this topic recently myself!

Author: hunter [ Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:56 pm ]
Natgeo has a whole series on this on YouTube

Here is one of my favorities

Author: Rebelistic [ Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:50 am ]
It is interesting on how the mind works. I have also found it to be true with sounds. There has been may times where if I am in an area where we get used to ambient sounds such as neighborhood dogs barking in the distance. It seems as if we tone out that sound when we are listening for others. Then upon audio review you hear something mixed in with them that isn't a dog, but you never really heard it at the time. Our minds have many filters that it uses in everyday life and some of them can work against us in the woods. That is why it is so important to me to double check everything.

Author: hunter [ Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:03 pm ]
Another good article...

http://59ways.blogspot.com/2012/07/inat ... dness.html

Author: Rebelistic [ Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:07 am ]
hunter wrote:
Another good article...

http://59ways.blogspot.com/2012/07/inat ... dness.html
I think this may be the reason we sometimes experience fear or like we are not welcome in an area. While we are focused on a possible track or structure our subconscious mind sees or hears something we don't consciously see or hear and gives us a warning. I am also of the thought that that fear that the subconscious gives us might be what is behind the zapping phenomenon. It is pretty much known that we exhibit 3 different ways of dealing with fear. Fight Flight or Freeze. What is called zapping may be a freeze response that may be for some like playing possum as that critter does. Just my thoughts.

Return to “General Discussion”

• You do not have permission to post in chat.
@ admin « Tue 1:35 am »
Hey Yankeesearch, didn’t even know you were in chat, now you have the bug so bad you will have to keep going out to see another one. :)
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:56 am »
Anyway, as I stand before God, I did not make this up!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:55 am »
Not saying it was Sq/BF/DM/Yeti... but it was strange. And I am locking my doors tonight for sure! :lol:
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:54 am »
And just I was turning away, I thought I heard snort -- which could have been deer or maybe cattle... but... I do not know.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
I did not have the creepy feeling I normally get in these situations... so I really do not know what to make of it.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
One detail I forgot to mention: the whoop had almost a human like talk after it on both occasions.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:52 am »
I walked back to the other side, and thought I heard a knock...
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:51 am »
Cattle about 1/8th mile away disappeared... and strangely at that location: it sounded like something banged the metal fence. Not loud... but never ever heard it before tonight.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
Two whoops... and some deer scattering (they may have been scattering because of me).
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
From 6:20 PM to maybe 6:45 PM CST
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:49 am »
I may have just had an encounter!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:46 am »
Hi gang! I know it has been a long time...
@ BrianDriver « Sat 12:59 pm »
Good quality pics. How long were the cams out?
@ admin « Thu 9:09 pm »
Just to get the chat going, it’s going to take some time to move over all the data, but in the end, hope everyone likes the layout here.

Who is chatting