Heading to OK, looking for Do's and Don'ts

This is for anything not covered by other forums here, it's the general discussion forum.
Forum rules
This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
admin
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director

Heading to OK, looking for Do's and Don'ts

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:51 pm

Author: Capiar1 [ Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:51 pm ]
Post subject: Heading to OK, looking for Do's and Don'ts
I'll be doing a one night stay in the field close to Honobia in a few weeks. Wanted to know if there is any particular commonly used tools (gifting bowls, wood knocks, whoops, hollers, etc.) that are effective. Likewise, out of respect for those who research in these woods regularly, is there anything you would prefer NOT to be done or used.

Author: Biggjimm [ Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:05 am ]
Post subject: Re: Heading to OK, looking for Do's and Don'ts
its a mixed bag of nuts. I would recommend keeping a level head and your eyes open. Also burn some honey suckle scented candles. Its a scent they are familiar with, but out of season. might get them curious

Author: Rebelistic [ Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:27 am ]
I have to agree with BiggJimm. The most important thing you can do is keep a level head and your eyes and ears open. By going in the areas of known activity, things could get little hairy if you do not know what to expect. You never know what has happened in the past that could lead up to some negative behavior. And I can tell you from experience, that your reaction to their's can make or break a situation. If you overreact, it will either put them on the defensive, or make it a game over situation.

If by chance you have an audio recorder, make sure you got it recording. So many times, there will be people that will hear something, by the time they get the recorder going it is too late to record. The biggest advice I can give you is to enjoy the time out there. It does not matter whether you have activity are not, just enjoy nature and its beauty.

Author: therealsuperdave [ Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:52 pm ]
one word of caution. Do not make a campfire in an old campfire spot. Several years ago, we had a mishap due to a bullet that was buried in the old campfire prior to our arrival. When we built a campfire over an old campfire/ring the first night, the bullet got hot and exploded, blowing cinders all over four of us near the campfire. Ears were ringing and we felt almost dazed, like we had a concussion. Since then, the MABRC quit having expeditions to the same place near Honobia. It may have been intentional, or could have been an accident. Lesson learned, make a new fire ring and build your campfire someplace where there wasn't a campfire before.

on another note, there are a lot of whip-o-wills near Honobia, who make the characteristic call all night long, and can get unnerving. And you can expect to see their tiny white eye reflections close to the ground, which can be suggestive of something its not.

Lastly, I think so many researchers have gone to Honobia that any attempts at gifting/baiting will be unsuccessful, especially on a short trip.

Author: Biggjimm [ Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:59 am ]
It is beautiful country though. Be warned there is a hoaxer in the area, so really go over your findings hard

Author: Capiar1 [ Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:17 am ]
Biggjimm wrote:
It is beautiful country though. Be warned there is a hoaxer in the area, so really go over your findings hard

Thanks for that update! I really hate when people do that! This is why I always let people know whenever I'm coming into an area so regulars in that area know I will be there and not think I'm hoaxing. Anything I find or record I'll post here for evaluation by those of you experienced in this region.

Author: Snowman [ Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:11 pm ]
Biggjimm wrote:

Really? I have research property in this area, I would like to hear more.thx.

Author: Apebait [ Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:12 pm ]
therealsuperdave wrote:
one word of caution. Do not make a campfire in an old campfire spot. Several years ago, we had a mishap due to a bullet that was buried in the old campfire prior to our arrival. When we built a campfire over an old campfire/ring the first night, the bullet got hot and exploded, blowing cinders all over four of us near the campfire. Ears were ringing and we felt almost dazed, like we had a concussion. Since then, the MABRC quit having expeditions to the same place near Honobia. It may have been intentional, or could have been an accident. Lesson learned, make a new fire ring and build your campfire someplace where there wasn't a campfire before.

on another note, there are a lot of whip-o-wills near Honobia, who make the characteristic call all night long, and can get unnerving. And you can expect to see their tiny white eye reflections close to the ground, which can be suggestive of something its not.

Lastly, I think so many researchers have gone to Honobia that any attempts at gifting/baiting will be unsuccessful, especially on a short trip.

That happened to us once in Armurchee Ga. once. It sounded like a handful of.22 longs. We're lucky no one was hurt.
Author: YankeeSearch [ Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:03 pm ]
Do you honestly think the bullet thing was intentional?
It might be good for me to know that before doing any kind of overnighter.

Sometimes I put recorders out by myself... I do not think I will ever go overnight into the woods again by my self.

Author: therealsuperdave [ Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:46 am ]
Yankee, we thought so because the MABRC used the same spot for an expedition several years in a row. Locals were aware we used the spot, so we thought they may have done that to run us off. we decided it was not worth someone getting hurt so as a group we don't do any more expeditions there. There are many other places with activity, so we have expeditions elsewhere.

Author: YankeeSearch [ Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:01 am ]
therealsuperdave wrote:
Yankee, we thought so because the MABRC used the same spot for an expedition several years in a row. Locals were aware we used the spot, so we thought they may have done that to run us off. we decided it was not worth someone getting hurt so as a group we don't do any more expeditions there. There are many other places with activity, so we have expeditions elsewhere.

:cry:
That is just sad!

Author: Biggjimm [ Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:23 pm ]
One of the men involved with the conference had been planting tracks around honobia to drum up interest accoeding to my sources
....might do you guys better to move off a bit. Wild horse trails by Fewell might be a better option

Author: hunter [ Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:15 pm ]
therealsuperdave wrote:
one word of caution. Do not make a campfire in an old campfire spot. Several years ago, we had a mishap due to a bullet that was buried in the old campfire prior to our arrival. When we built a campfire over an old campfire/ring the first night, the bullet got hot and exploded, blowing cinders all over four of us near the campfire. Ears were ringing and we felt almost dazed, like we had a concussion
Just an FYI

Bullets in a Fire
When a bullet is exposed to sufficiently high temperatures, the shell case will burst apart but the bullet will not travel at high speeds or go very far if it is not loaded in a gun. The ability of a bullet to cause injury depends on the speed with which the bullet is fired, and much of this speed depends on the fact that the bullet is being forced down a gun barrel. A loose bullet or a bullet in a cardboard box will not have the additional pressure of the barrel, so while it may fire it will not do so forcefully.

Tests on Hot Bullets
In Episode 85 of the television show "Myth Busters," the danger of putting bullets in a fire was tested by placing .22, .44 and .50 caliber bullets in an oven and then turning on the heat. All of the bullets fired when they got hot, but none of them had sufficient force to shoot through the oven door. By contrast, bullets fired from a gun at an oven door went right through it. A similar test was performed on an open flame with the same results --- bullets dropped into the fire went off but were not dangerous.

Bullets in a Metal Case
When bullets are stored in a metal ammunition case or a metal box, they can become dangerous in case of a fire. The reason is that the exploding bullets --- ordinarily not particularly dangerous on their own --- will cause the sides of the metal case to expand and eventually rip apart under the pressure. The resulting shrapnel can be very dangerous. A firefighter was injured in 2010 by shrapnel that may have come from an exploding metal ammunition case. Firefighters often retreat to a safe distance when cartridges begin to "cook off" or explode in the fire, although experienced firefighters have reported that in most cases their coats are sufficient to protect them from being injured.

Guns in a Fire
When a loaded gun becomes hot enough, it can fire on its own. Myth Busters tested this in Episode 85, by putting a .38 in an oven and turning the heat on. The revolver fired the bullet through the oven door. Firefighters have reported cases in which loaded guns began to fire repeatedly in a burning house. In one case, the firefighters believed they were being shot at from within the house. They left the scene to avoid being shot and the house was lost. In this case, one of the bullets actually struck the fire truck parked outside.

Return to “General Discussion”

• You do not have permission to post in chat.
@ admin « Tue 1:35 am »
Hey Yankeesearch, didn’t even know you were in chat, now you have the bug so bad you will have to keep going out to see another one. :)
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:56 am »
Anyway, as I stand before God, I did not make this up!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:55 am »
Not saying it was Sq/BF/DM/Yeti... but it was strange. And I am locking my doors tonight for sure! :lol:
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:54 am »
And just I was turning away, I thought I heard snort -- which could have been deer or maybe cattle... but... I do not know.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
I did not have the creepy feeling I normally get in these situations... so I really do not know what to make of it.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
One detail I forgot to mention: the whoop had almost a human like talk after it on both occasions.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:52 am »
I walked back to the other side, and thought I heard a knock...
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:51 am »
Cattle about 1/8th mile away disappeared... and strangely at that location: it sounded like something banged the metal fence. Not loud... but never ever heard it before tonight.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
Two whoops... and some deer scattering (they may have been scattering because of me).
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
From 6:20 PM to maybe 6:45 PM CST
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:49 am »
I may have just had an encounter!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:46 am »
Hi gang! I know it has been a long time...
@ BrianDriver « Sat 12:59 pm »
Good quality pics. How long were the cams out?
@ admin « Thu 9:09 pm »
Just to get the chat going, it’s going to take some time to move over all the data, but in the end, hope everyone likes the layout here.

Who is chatting