Smokey Crabtree Has Died

Dedicated in memory to the legend of Boggy Creek himself, nope, not the creature, but the man himself, Smokey Crabtree.
Forum rules
This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
admin
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director

Smokey Crabtree Has Died

Post by admin » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:22 am

Cryptozoonews wrote:
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (3.89 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
On April 22, 2015, “Smokey” Crabtree was 88. He passed away on January 16, 2016, in Fouke, Arkansas, which he called “home” his entire life, despite his many travels. He raised a family and worked in 18 foreign countries and almost every state in the United States.

Julius E.”Smokey” Crabtree was raised in Fouke. He grew up quickly and took on responsibilities at an early age. At sixteen he was a welder for the U.S. Navy, staying in the service in that role for three years. During that time he was also a boxer, and fought in the Golden Glove tournament in San Francisco, California in 1944. He was also in the grocery business.

At nineteen he volunteered for the Merchant Marines and by the age of twenty-three he was married and the father of three children. The family moved back to Fouke and built a home in the country; he continued to follow pipeline work as a welder.

With his busy life, he still found time to roam the Sulpher River Bottoms to trap, hunt, and fish, the things he enjoyed and loved as a boy. Smokey and members of his family were actors in a movie entitled The Legend of Boggy Creek about the Fouke Monster. Smokey served as a wildlife guide and consultant for the filming, and he is the author/publisher of Smokey and the Fouke Monster, and other books.

Smokey was a survivor, having outlived one of his sons, Tommy, who was killed in a welding pipe explosion in 1987, and relative Karen Sue Crabtree, 50, who was killed in a car wreck in 2009. Also, Smokey’s wife Melva died June 11, 2005.

The second eldest son of Smokey Crabtree, James Lynn Crabtree, 60, of Fouke, Arkansas, died April 20, 2011, in a Little Rock, Arkansas hospital. Lynn, as he was known, had one of the most influential and important sightings of the Fouke Monster, when he was 14 years old.

His official obituary notes: “[Julius E. Crabtree] was a Nazarene, a retired welder, contractor, publisher, and had owned the Big Stop Grocery Store in Fouke. He served our country as a Merchant Marine, was a member of the Masonic Lodge, VFW, and Pipeliners Union 798. He had also been a boxer and Golden Gloves Champion. He was preceded in death by two sons, Tommy Crabtree and Lynn Crabtree, and a grandson, Jeremy Knight. Survivors include his wife, Fran Crabtree of Fouke, Arkansas, two sons and daughters-in-law, Travis and Mary Crabtree of Mt. Dora, Florida, and Jay and Toni Crabtree of Texarkana, Arkansas, one daughter and son-in-law, Debbie and John Knight of Sparkman, Arkansas, ten grandchildren, and a number of great-grandchildren.”

Smokey’s funeral services will be at 2:00 P. M. Saturday, January 23, 2016, at the Texarkana Funeral Home, Arkansas Chapel, with Frank McFerrin officiating. Burial will be at Independence Cemetery in Fouke, Arkansas. The family will receive friends at the funeral home from 5 PM until 6:30 PM Friday, January 22, 2016.
8113059898_d4181d1c3b.jpg
In Smokey’s later years, he ran a bookstore, a homespun museum, and appeared at Bigfoot conferences.
CSR1eDqVEAARhnx.jpg
At the Boggy Creek Festival, the fall of 2015, in Fouke, Arkansas.
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (7.03 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
Ohio Bigfoot Conference, 1999 (above and below).
ColemanKeatingBattsonSmokeyCrabtree.jpg
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg (8.53 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
Boggy Creek Festival, 2015
Smokey-CD-Flat.jpg
Smokey-CD-Flat.jpg (61.86 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
pic2.jpg
Smokey will forever be tied to the movie, The Legend of Boggy Creek. His folksy style was reflected in his books, CD, and website to the end.

Return to “The Smokey Crabtree Wing”

• You do not have permission to post in chat.
@ admin « Tue 1:35 am »
Hey Yankeesearch, didn’t even know you were in chat, now you have the bug so bad you will have to keep going out to see another one. :)
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:56 am »
Anyway, as I stand before God, I did not make this up!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:55 am »
Not saying it was Sq/BF/DM/Yeti... but it was strange. And I am locking my doors tonight for sure! :lol:
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:54 am »
And just I was turning away, I thought I heard snort -- which could have been deer or maybe cattle... but... I do not know.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
I did not have the creepy feeling I normally get in these situations... so I really do not know what to make of it.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
One detail I forgot to mention: the whoop had almost a human like talk after it on both occasions.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:52 am »
I walked back to the other side, and thought I heard a knock...
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:51 am »
Cattle about 1/8th mile away disappeared... and strangely at that location: it sounded like something banged the metal fence. Not loud... but never ever heard it before tonight.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
Two whoops... and some deer scattering (they may have been scattering because of me).
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
From 6:20 PM to maybe 6:45 PM CST
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:49 am »
I may have just had an encounter!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:46 am »
Hi gang! I know it has been a long time...
@ BrianDriver « Sat 12:59 pm »
Good quality pics. How long were the cams out?
@ admin « Thu 9:09 pm »
Just to get the chat going, it’s going to take some time to move over all the data, but in the end, hope everyone likes the layout here.

Who is chatting