Sasquatch story grabs national attention

This forum is for the placement of known and exposed hoaxes. When allowable, the complete details for exposing it as a hoax will be given.
Forum rules
This forum will sometimes contain copyrighted information, however, it is placed here under Title 17

Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
admin
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director
MABRC Chief Forum Administrator, MABRC Executive Director

Post by admin » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:01 am

Bigfootencounters.com wrote:
By Natalie Burrowes
The SUN NEWS

Hoax
BIGFOOT FREEZER STORY HOAXED - September 1, 2001 I am the journalist for Wireless Flash who broke the story on the Bigfoot corpse after seeing the posting on this board regarding the eBay offer to sell a Bigfoot soul. I contacted the man who told me he indeed had a Bigfoot corpse -- and provided lots of details that made for a pretty good story. Since I wasn't able to see it, I used words like ``claims'' and ``supposedly'' when reporting the claim. Then I put out the story to 800 media subscribers, who flooded the guy with calls. That's when he came back and told me it was a prank to get on Howard Stern. We immediately sent out this update.
Regards, David Moye, Wireless Flash

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Myrtle Beach Online.Com, South Carolina
Sunday, September 2, 2001

Simon Garth blames his mischievous buddies for the 15 minutes of fame he received when a practical joke gone awry spurred national reports that he had a Bigfoot monster stored in his freezer.

Garth said he received more than 300 telephone calls Friday after Wireless Flash, an Internet-based pop culture news service, published a story that said he had shot and killed the elusive Bigfoot. After reading about Garth's supposed feat, people nationwide were offering the 30-year-old security guard from Aynor blank checks for the frozen Sasquatch. Others wanted samples of its DNA.

Despite the flood of phone calls, Garth said he didn't mind being the butt of his friends' practical joke. "It's been a fun day," he said Friday. "I wish I did have Bigfoot in a meat locker." But like any tall tale, there's at least two versions of this Bigfoot story.

David Moye the Wireless Flash reporter who wrote the story said Garth was in on the joke from the start, but cried wolf when he was bombarded with telephone calls. Moye ran a second story Friday that said Garth admitted his Bigfoot tale was nothing more than a stunt designed to get him a guest shot on Howard Stern's morning radio show.

"Now, after being flooded by media interest, Garth has decided to come clean because he doesn't want to '... disrespect Bigfoot fans' and Howard Stern still hasn't called him," Moye's latest story states. Garth disagrees. He claims his friends used his name and cell phone number, unbeknownst to him, to carry out the hoax. Furthermore, Garth said his friends were the ones who called Moye on Friday to admit the story was false. Moye said he stumbled onto the story last week. While scanning eBay, the popular Internet auction site, Moye said he noticed that Garth claimed to have Bigfoot's corpse and had placed the monster's soul up for auction. Moye said he called Garth, who told him he had a 6-foot, 2-inch, 285-pound Sasquatch tucked away in his freezer. Moye said Garth claimed he shot the beast 20 miles from his house and used voodoo magic to capture Sasquatch's soul. Moye's initial excitement was dampened, though, when he received an e-mail signed by Garth on Friday. "This whole incident stemmed from problems with eBay," Garth's alleged e-mail stated. "A group of us got together and decided to have some fun with a fake auction.

"Over 300 people looked at it, but few bid before eBay yanked it," the e-mail continued. "Sorry for the mislead. I really just wanted to talk to Howard Stern." Moye is sticking by his claim that Garth was using the Bigfoot story as a way to meet Stern. And Garth still claims he's the innocent victim of a practical joke that got out of hand.

Regardless of whose story is true, one thing is for certain there's no Bigfoot in Simon Garth's freezer. Just some steak, TV dinners and a couple of Popsicles.

NATALIE BURROWES PRUITT can be reached at 444-1722
© The Sun News Online

Return to “Hoaxes”

• You do not have permission to post in chat.
@ admin « Tue 1:35 am »
Hey Yankeesearch, didn’t even know you were in chat, now you have the bug so bad you will have to keep going out to see another one. :)
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:56 am »
Anyway, as I stand before God, I did not make this up!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:55 am »
Not saying it was Sq/BF/DM/Yeti... but it was strange. And I am locking my doors tonight for sure! :lol:
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:54 am »
And just I was turning away, I thought I heard snort -- which could have been deer or maybe cattle... but... I do not know.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
I did not have the creepy feeling I normally get in these situations... so I really do not know what to make of it.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:53 am »
One detail I forgot to mention: the whoop had almost a human like talk after it on both occasions.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:52 am »
I walked back to the other side, and thought I heard a knock...
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:51 am »
Cattle about 1/8th mile away disappeared... and strangely at that location: it sounded like something banged the metal fence. Not loud... but never ever heard it before tonight.
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
Two whoops... and some deer scattering (they may have been scattering because of me).
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:50 am »
From 6:20 PM to maybe 6:45 PM CST
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:49 am »
I may have just had an encounter!
@ yankeesearch « Tue 12:46 am »
Hi gang! I know it has been a long time...
@ BrianDriver « Sat 12:59 pm »
Good quality pics. How long were the cams out?
@ admin « Thu 9:09 pm »
Just to get the chat going, it’s going to take some time to move over all the data, but in the end, hope everyone likes the layout here.

Who is chatting